Coronavirus… certainly on everybody’s mind at the moment.
People are going crazy everywhere because of the Coronavirus! But panic does not help at all.
I know that the best protection I can give to my family, surroundings, and myself from this virus is to help prevent transmission. So, when this issue came out, I followed the news and researched the best way to do so without a scare.
Yes! This is not a laughing matter that you can talk lightly of. But it does not mean that you need to panic.
What do I do?
Yes! Prevention is still the key. And that’s exactly what I did. After learning about this virus, I went to find out the best way to help prevent it and minimize its transmission and effects.
What Is Coronavirus?
According to World Health Organization (WHO), Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause illness. It ranges from the common cold to more severe diseases.
The novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) scaring everyone right now is a new strain that humans have not previously identified.
They said that, Coronaviruses are zoonotic. It means they are transmitted between animals and people.
How Can The Virus Be Transmitted?
According to the news and health organizations, Coronavirus is transmitted via respiratory droplets. This respiratory droplet is produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Often spread from person to person happens among close contacts (about 6 feet) or touching surfaces where the droplets have landed.
These respiratory droplets can land in the mouths or noses of nearby people and inhale into the lungs. It also stays on surfaces for 9 hours, possibly longer, and can be transmitted. A lot is still unknown, so there may be other findings.
What is important is to note how easily a virus spreads person-to-person can vary. Hence, the ongoing research about the transmissibility, severity, and other features of Covid-19 is not yet conclusive.
Symptoms of Covid-19
Common signs of infection include:
- Respiratory symptoms
- Shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia. The infection can also cause severe acute respiratory syndrome and kidney failure. In some cases, the infection can even lead to death.
How To Help Prevent Covid19
There are standard recommendations to prevent infection spread.
Safety guidelines include:
- Regular hand washing and/or disinfection
- Covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing with a tissue and throwing away tissues immediately
- Avoid large crowds and travel if possible.
- Limit touching surfaces, doorknobs, etc., used by others in public, or wipe them with a disinfectant.
- Avoid handshaking and kissing when greeting others. Adopt feet bumps? Elbow bumps? Or hand waving?
- You may also want to avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms.
How To Boost Immune System Naturally against Covid19?
It is essential to boost your immune system to build a natural shield against this new virus. Please note that a strong immune system may help minimize the effects and transmission of the virus. I do not claim it will prevent, cure, or treat the virus infection!
Therapeutic Diet and Nutrition Considerations
Balanced dietary plan with fiber, protein, healthy fats, and whole grains with micronutrients essential to optimal immune system function:
- Vitamin C – oranges, papayas, strawberries, kiwi, organic leafy green vegetables
- Zinc – seafood, pumpkin seed, sea vegetables
- Vitamin D – salmon, fatty fish, egg yolks, mushrooms
- Consumption of fresh garlic – crush garlic and wait up to 60 seconds to enhance the formation of allicin.
- Vitamin A – liver, cod liver oil, mackerel, salmon; beta-carotene: sweet potato, winter squash, kale, collards, carrots
- During active viral infection, maintain adequate hydration.
- Reduce dietary sugar, processed “empty” foods & alcohol intake
- Optimize omega-3 fatty acid composition of a diet to support anti-inflammatory status
- Support good protein status. Higher protein intake may be warranted and can be achieved by supplementing with high-quality protein powders. Whey protein supplementation has increased glutathione levels, further supporting immune and antioxidant protection.
You may consider taking additional supplements with immune-supporting nutrients. I use lots of Vitamin C, Zinc, Elderberries, and Echinacea.
• Good sleep hygiene to ensure adequate quantity and quality of restorative rest
• Reduce allostatic load via stress management techniques. Consider meditation, breathwork, and biofeedback.
• Balanced physical activity routine to avoid excessive exercise during times of immune challenge
One key to boosting your immune system is detoxing while nourishing your body. It has been my long-time habit to detox once in a while as it also helps me to become more alert and active. Not only do you feel good after detox, but your body is also resetting and cleansed, ready to take in and charge energy.
Finding a cure is undoubtedly important! No doubt that agencies and health organizations are doing their best to find the cure. But we must also take a stand and be responsible for our health.
Let’s start with eating right and boosting our immune system by choosing the right options. Detox and live healthier not only to prevent Coronavirus but also to have a happier life and well-being!
It can also serve as your first step to a healthier journey!