Summer is finally here and time has come to wear our favorite bathing suit, get our sunscreen lotion and sunglasses! There are tons of ways to enjoy the summer season, there are so many activities and the best of all is that we can spend some quality time with our loved ones, isn’t that great?
Just a few weeks ago, a good friend of mine asked me for advice on how to spend her summer at its best. I think she was expecting me to tell her about awesome places to go, but instead of that, I suggested some great tips to keep her mind and body healthy during these hot days.
I know that some of you would appreciate these healthy tips, that’s why I want to share them with you today!
- Most people are dehydrated (especially in winter areas where you have to heat your home) so do drink 6-8 glasses of water daily.
- Got a headache? Try drinking a couple of glasses of water first before reaching for the aspirin.
- If water makes you gag, add a slice of lemon or lime. Stick with trying to drink 1 glass a day for 21 days (21 days=new habits).
- Try always to wear a hat and use sunscreen lotion to protect your skin from the sun rays.
- Step away from the computer. Go do some stretches. NOW!
- If you hate water, start with 1 glass then make the next 5 soda water. As you get used to water, start cutting down on the soda.
- Don’t trust those “Fresh Healthy Smoothies” to keep you refreshed throughout the summer those usually are high in sugar.
- Pay attention to your hear! Avoid using hairdryers, straighteners and other heating products and if you’re planning to visit a pool, try to use anti-chlorine shampoo and conditioner to help neutralize the chlorine from your hair.
- Eat lots of leafy green vegetables like spinach and kale! These veggies may benefit your eyesight.
Try to implement at least one or two tips per week so that you can stay healthy throughout summer! The best thing is that they’re all easy to follow, so you have no excuses!
After giving my friend these tips, I explained to her the importance of taking care of her skin from the sun rays. Did you know that the sun is responsible for 80% of premature skin aging? I’m sure you don’t want this to happen, do you?
If you don’t want to look 20 years older, these foods may help you boost your skin health during these sunny days:
- Nuts, seeds, and oils contain essential fatty acids which help restore and maintain cell membranes and battle spots and wrinkles.
- Foods that have a higher water content like melon and cucumber help hydrate the skin
- Berries, citrus, and dark chocolate are high in antioxidants which protect the skin cells from free radical damage
- Tomatoes are high in lycopene which protects from the sun
- Legumes are high in fiber which helps the body detox
- Whole grains contain fiber and selenium which supports healthy skin cells
- Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties which help protect cell membranes
- Leafy greens contain folate which helps the skin cells renew themselves
If your aim is to enjoy a healthy summer, you should totally check out my BEST supplements for the season!
Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – Unrefined Cold Pressed Coconut Oil for Hair, Skin and Cooking, 14 Ounce
<p>Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is a stable, healthy, naturally saturated fat that is free from trans-fatty acids. It contains medium-chain fatty acids, including lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid, which are readily converted to energy by the body</p>
Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Flaxseed, 24 Ounce
Flaxseed offers the benefits of fiber, Omega-3 fatty acid Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA), protein and SDG lignans. Fiber supports normal functioning of the digestive tract and healthy lipids.