Sweet! Yummy! Delicious!
Sugar: The scary side
Most of the foods you crave, are sprinkled with sugar and spice (aka additives and flavouring) and everything nice! It makes food taste better.
But, how safe it is to consume it?
So what is sugar?
What are the common types of sugar?
Sugar, like starches and fibers are carbohydrates. And, carbohydrates is one of three (3) basic macro-nutrients our body needs. They can be found in a wide range of food.
The common sugars found in food are;
- Corn Syrup
What are the cons of excess use?
Our body needs sugar, as it provides energy. However, eating it in moderation is important, since too much intake can hurt your body. Here are some common reasons why sugar may be bad for you.
- It can lead to mood swings, fatigue and headaches
- It can contribute to cravings
- The cravings can begin the cycle of false hunger which can also lead to over-eating
- Risk of obesity, heart disease and diabetes
- It can interfere with your immunity
- Chromium deficiency
- It can speed up ageing
- A possible cause of tooth decay
- It can cause chronic diseases
- If not eaten in moderation, it may affect cognition
- It takes the place of some important nutrients. Taking too much will leave no space for other nutrients the body needs.
- If not regulated, it can increase stress
Sugar is harmless in nature, but over-consuming, it can affect your well-being. Always remember that it is very calorie dense. The fact that you can unknowingly consume a certain amount, may put you at risk of too much intake.
This does not mean you should not eat anything with it. With that said, we should be mindful with what we are eating or find alternatives to sugary sweets. If you want to know more about it, and how to lessen or even cut your cravings, you can check the “Quit sugar cravings” workbook below;
Sugar can be confusing, for some people who need to stay away from it. It is a dark “white” cloud in disguise. But it is not impossible to stay away from it. If you are still confused or think that you need help to steer you in the right direction, you can always talk to me. Click the button below and let’s talk about overcoming your cravings!