7 out of 10 people reading this article have probably H.Pylori, possibly even more. Chances are pretty high that you have it. I certainly did and it has been nasty but I was able to get rid of the symptoms, naturally. Here is my story and how I got rid of it.
After months of constant burning pain, similar to the pain when somebody boxes you in the stomach real hard, lasting 24/7; similar to the feeling when you get a horrible news and really feel sick to the stomach, like when your gut is telling you something is wrong, without end. It made me sleep badly, wake up at night and my mind did not function well anymore due to the constant pain.
I thought this kind of pain was due to stress and it felt so for a long time but eventually it became worse and I went to see a doctor who confirmed after some checks and a breath test that I have an H.Pylori bacterial infection. I went through a double course of 2 super strong antibiotics (I hate taking any kind of medication so taking 2 was really not my thing but I was so desperate) and got a few other acid blocking medication. After a few days I was better. What a relief! I subsequently tested negative for the bacteria and was so happy. So I thought…
Then, a few weeks later, it all started again, same horrible never-ending burning pain. By this time I decided that I wanted to do a thorough program of nutritional adjustments, natural herbs and supplements. After all I am a Nutrition coach and I really believed that I could treat this. I put together a program and, after a few days, I started feeling better, gradually less pain and feeling my old self again. I could sleep again and forgot about the pain, it has changed my life. You have no idea how relieved and happy I was. Here is how I did it and some information about H.Pylori.
What is H. Pylori
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a type of bacteria. These germs can enter your body and live in your digestive tract without you knowing it. After many years, if they become too many, they can cause gastritis or other chronic gastrointestinal disorders, they can also cause sores called ulcers in the lining of your stomach or the upper part of your small intestine. For some people, an infection can lead to stomach cancer. Symptoms include but are not limited to:
- An ache or burning pain in your abdomen.
- Abdominal pain that’s worse when your stomach is empty.
- Loss of appetite.
- Frequent burping.
- Unintentional weight loss.
About two-thirds of the world’s population has H.Pylori but for most people it doesn’t cause ulcers or any other symptoms. If there are symptoms and H.Pylori is confirmed, most doctors prescribe 2 strong antibiotics and some antacids or acid blockers, often there are the standard approach is to prescribe several courses of antibiotics to eradicate the stubborn bacteria but some believe that there are natural ways to help.
Here is what helped me, naturally
Please note, I am in no way suggesting that my advice overrides your physician’s opinion, if you suspect you have H.Pylori or other gastrointestinal problems, or would like to try the methods I have used, you should consult a medical professional who will advise you accordingly.
- DGL Licorice (make sure it is deglycyrrhizinated licorice or it will cause high blood pressure) for treating the ulcer, it is said to be as effective as some pharmaceutical drugs. It is recommended to take 750-1500 mg per day divided in 3 doses
- Mastic Gum is antibacterial and is said to treat H.Pylori. Take 2 times 500-1000 mg
- Garlic, is anti-microbial and helps treating ulcers. You can eat plenty or supplement it
- L-Glutamine – Helps to heal ulcers, 500 mg per day are recommended
- Multi-Enzyme supplement including pectin, bromelain, papain and Betaine HCI– Helps digest food and balances the acidity, thus reducing symptoms
- A good quality pharmaceutical graded Multivitamin which includes Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin B complex
- Probiotics to help with the assimilation of nutrients and aid digestion
- Manuka honey is said to kill H.Pylori bacteria, only buy a high quality product
- Additional herbs assisting digestion and healing: Aloe Vera, comfrey, marshmallow, chamomile, nettle
- Eat plenty of dark leafy vegetables as they provide healing Vitamin K
- Drink fresh cabbage juice, said to heal ulcers
- Eat soft cooked foods or blend them
- Yoghurt and kefir are great to soothe and so is barley, wheat and alfalfa juice, also said to be a potential anti-ulcer treatment
- Drink a lot of water for relief and try adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in water and see if this brings relief
- Avoid processed food, refined carbohydrates, dairy (except yoghurt and kefir), fried food, animal fats, sugar, carbonated drinks, salt, coffee and alcohol. I eat a fairly healthy diet but by cutting out completely coffee and even the occasional glass of wine, made a big difference.
Only consistent application of the above principles helped me and I believe that it may help others. If after a while you don’t get relief you should see a doctor.
Feel free to contact me to chat more if you have similar problems.